Rosh Hashanah in Berlin!


Day 11: Copenhagen-Berlin
The ringing of an alarm clock woke us up with a start this morning at the lovely hour of 3am and then came the wake up call a few minutes later; now I thought that waking up for school at 5am was not normal but this is just ridiculous! Well, I can promise you there were no smiles on our face but we woke up, got dressed and headed for the train station in the dead of night. After a short walk, a bunch of steps, being half awake on the station platform and making sure we stayed awake on the train with can you imagine (other people at that hour) we finally got to the airport super early. After an encounter with a rude Air Berlin employee who made us remove ½ of our stuff from our luggage, change some bags and still charged us overage for 2 kilos (can you believe it!) we were on our way. Just a reminder to anyone using Air Berlin and flying out of Berlin…sticklers for the 20 kilo rule as opposed to everywhere else that has been 23 kilos, just to let you know in advance. Anyway…we arrived in Germany, took the 109 bus and walked a block to our new home for one night, the Citadines. Now this is the way to go…apartment style living! We had accidentally booked for the night before too (okay, one mix up when you’re booking things at 4 in the morning just after a wedding is not so bad, right?) so when we arrived at 9am we were actually able to get our room which was great! The service was wonderful and the room had a great bathroom, kitchen facilities, free wi-fi and a couch that turned into a double bed and was really easy to put together.

I had a quick nap (as seems to become usual after we fly) and as Rosh Hashanah was approaching Mathew went for a wander and came back with challah, apples, honey and the location of the Chabad House (orthodox services for anyone who doesn’t know) which was just a few blocks away. I got up from my 2 hour nap and we went for some gefilte fish at the Judaica shop that Naomi had suggested and to the Chabad House where we met the rabbi who invited us for free services and the Kiddush afterwards. He, of course, was from Brooklyn and had lived in Melbourne, Australia for two years and said that 13 years ago he and his wife had come to Berlin on a one-way ticket to try to improve Judaism in Berlin. Well, after talking with him and some of the other patrons for the holidays it seems he’s doing really well as the Jewish community is growing and the beautiful shul is a 5 million dollar establishment that he raised most of the money with the help of others to open. He was so welcoming and I was so happy to have found them. We found a deli around the corner and had a lovely lunch of schnitzel, lox and salads and then headed back to the hotel, did some laundry at the facility downstairs and I got ready for services.

Mathew walked me to services and I went upstairs as it was separate seating and the women’s section was upstairs. While it wasn’t the same as sitting in Plainview Jewish Center with family and friends as I’ve done for just about the last 30 something years, it was still a synagogue with fellow observers around and it felt warm. Regardless of the language they spoke, all were there for the same reason. There were all types of people there, many speaking Hebrew and German and some Americans as well. There was one woman who seemed to be known in the community who brought bags of candy and chocolates and snacks and handed them out to any kid who came upstairs regardless of their age. There was a German girl with two young children who were playing and standing on the backs of the seats, a woman who was there with her husband who was from California and had just flown in from two weeks in Israel and a young girl whose mom is from Chicago and dad was German. Services finished and the Kiddush started. A huge spread set up all around the lobby of fish, salads, breads, wine, soft drink all arranged beautifully and people milling around everywhere and eating and enjoying. Apparently there was also a dinner in the restaurant but you had to have prearranged seating for that. Anyway, the rabbi came up to me during the Kiddush and said ‘Stacey, you MADE the Kiddush’ which made me smile! The service was awesome, the Kiddush great and I talked to the lady and her husband for a bit outside before Mathew came to pick me up and walk me home.

I thanked the rabbi and we went home back to the Citadines for dinner of challah, apples, cream cheese, tomato, honey and gefilte fish…it was great! Rosh Hashanah the travel version! We attempted to watch an episode of the Iron Chef and fell asleep. Tomorrow is another day of services in the morning and then we switch to the Contiki Hotel for the start of our tour. L’shana tova! Thank you Chabad!

One response »

  1. Pingback: A lesson wrapped in challah | The Gift of Travel

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s