It’s summer in New York. For me, summer means sandy feet, beach days, long walks, boardwalk time, picnics, sarongs, adventures, barbecues, outdoor entertainment and ice cream. Each day people flock to the sand to enjoy their own ‘perfect’ beach day. The people we often sit with on the weekends at Azores Beach often categorize the day and smile wide when they exclaim, ‘today is a perfect 10!’ Sun, sand and serenity are often parts of their measuring scale. Long Beach is at max capacity in the summer and often you’ll find some of our favourite locals looking forward to Labor Day when the hoards will disappear and ownership of the sand returns to those who live her year ‘round. During those winter months, many of us look to escape the cold and recreate those days of summer in a warmer climate. How do we make that ‘perfect 10’ day on the sand happen again?
How do we ‘bring back summer’?
FOR A PERFECT DAY AT THE BEACH
- Sunscreen and your favourite hat
- An umbrella (if you wish)
- Sand between your toes
- Beach chair or towel (whichever your preference)
- Some form of frozen treat (whichever your pleasure)
- Snacks (always taste better on the beach)
- Some sort of cooler to keep your drinks cold and snacks cool
- Reading material
- Frisbee (or other beach toys/games)
- The knowledge that sitting and being is actually important!
- Relishing time out in nature
- Healing powers of the salty sea air
- Realizing that anytime during your stay is a good time for a nap
- A plastic bag or bucket to collect your beach treasures (shells, rocks)
- Knowing that beach walks can happen at any minute
- Taking pleasure in the little things
- The ability to sit and know that your time is well spent
- Knowing you’re making memories right this minute
- Listening to the sound of the waves and enjoying the smell of the sea
- Finding perspective in the white caps of the waves
What’s your perfect beach day?