- Do not drink the tap water
- Only eat cooked vegetables
- To check the seal of a water bottle: hold it sideways and tip and squeeze; if water exits at all-DO NOT DRINK!
- Metro system is easy to follow: don’t be afraid to go to the window to ask questions or assistance
- In markets…Bargain, Bargain, Bargain Read the rest of this entry
We were lucky enough to experience 10 days of majestic, historical, aromatic & eye-opening sights of Northern India. Here are just a few of the places we stopped, the locals we talked to and the experiences we won’t soon forget.
- Chandi Chowk Market: food, goods, clothing, bags of all sorts sold by people of all ages. This bustling market was crowded with hawkers, locals, and travelers all taking in the scenery around them. Spices were ground on the street, tuk-tuks whizzed past at frightening speeds and cycle rick-shaws swerved past the camels, cows and people on the outside. You could easily get lost while weaving through the narrow passageways of the market but through it all, as is with many great markets around the world, there’s an interesting world in and of itself.
In the ten days we spent in northern India, I learned more than I imagined possible. Adi, our chief experience officer was incredibly knowledgeable & personable and provided us with varied information along our travels. Whether sharing his own experiences or introducing us to historians or locals we embraced India in all its glory.
‘If you don’t challenge yourself with difficulties, you cannot grow’ -Father from our group cooking class, Jaipur, India
What we learned in India
India has always been on my list; but somehow it always evaded us; but, last year was different. As part of a ‘round the world holiday, India was one of the ten countries we visited during a two month period in early 2013. It was finally happening.
I emailed my friend Kate who lives with her family in Dehli. She told me the following information and now having been, in our experience, her words were spot on: try the food, don’t drink the water, take Acidophilus tablets ahead of time and know that you’ll both love and despise this place.